Monday, June 30, 2014

Kale Grows In Utah!

Kale is a member of a group of plants called Brassicas.  They are also called "cole crops", mustards or cruciferous plants.  Other brassicas are broccoli, cauliflower, arugula, cabbage, brussels sprouts, mustard greens, collard greens, kohl rabi, mizuna, tatsoi, and turnips.  In my experience it is easiest to grow these plants from seedlings purchased at the local garden center in early spring - except arugula; it grows very easily from seed.
I grow kale because I think it is very beautiful in the garden.  There are several varieties - I like the Tuscan or Lacinato kale.  It is very nutritious and I found a way to cook it that I like!  Kale chips are tasty and easy to make.  Sometimes I put kale through the juicer with apples, limes and carrots.
Tuscan Kale grows well in Utah!

Lacinato, or Tuscan Kale is beautiful in the garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment